No One Knows What the Exact Cause of Scoliosis Is.
Hippocrates first described it around 400 BC and the first recorded treatment attempts started in the 1500’s.
Scientific studies have revealed the following about Scoliosis:
- Studies concur that Scoliosis affects as much as 5 TIMES more girls than boys with curvatures of more than 21 degrees, however male / female difference may be less than 1% in the population studied has curvatures of 10 degrees.
- Sporting activities suffer significant impairment in 100% of patients suffering from Scoliosis due to balance and coordination dysfunction  as well as diminished oxygen capacity, chronic bronchial bacterial infections and spine pain .
- In early onset Scoliosis, the child’s immature rib cage deforms before significant correction is transmitted to the spine .
- Advanced cases of scoliosis result in severe deformities (more than 70% present with a Rib Hump).
- The psychological problems and general unhappiness is epidemic in this population as it is seen in more than 90%of its victims, (76% of the females do not ever marry ).
- 80% of females develop chronic menstrual irregularities , 50% develop chronic digestive problems , and 100% suffer with chronic neck and back pain .
- Heart and lung challenges become the most common (60% of the cases)  cause of death for the victims of Scoliosis, and interference to the nervous system is a paramount concern.
- Autopsy studies revealed an interesting correlation between severe curvature and the average age of death. More severe curvature is related to earlier death. Moreover the average age of death, ONLY 30 – 50 years YOUNG, was especially correlated when the curves started in adolescence .
More Scientific studies have revealed that Scoliosis:
- usually results from dysfunction in the Central Nervous System;
- that it affects as much as 15 – 20-%  of the world wide population;
- that BLIND individuals have a 5 TIMES greater incidence  and the DEAF have a 3.7 TIMES greater incidence of Scoliosis than the population;
- that brain stem asymmetries often are present and among the MOST common associated findings are epilepsy and mental defects.
- 80% of all Scoliosis is Idiopathic: meaning that it is coming or arising from an obscure or unknown cause.
- In patients with curvatures of less than 30 degrees, the most common current treatment is bracing. It is widely known that method makes absolutely no difference. In fact a very common and serious complication of brace therapy is that of persistent vomiting as the devices press the superior mesenteric artery against the duodenum. This increases the risk for these children of an abdominal obstruction and even subsequent death .
It is interesting to know that:
- 23% of the general population have a leg-length inequality of 1 cm or more .
- There are many famous people that have not let their disease deter them. http://www.scoliosis-world.com/cat28.htm
- These real leg-length discrepancies may be cosmetically disturbing and lead to gait abnormalities and subsequent lower back scoliosis as well as functional disturbances.
- Surgical intervention with leg lengthening and shortening procedures is considered in children with 1 cm leg length differences during the growth period .
Permanent leg-length alterations mean a very painful and costly procedure that may not be necessary at all.
Consider all non-surgical options first!
The National Scoliosis Foundation says that Scoliosis:
- reduces life expectancy 14 years , stunts growth, causes cardio-pulmonary weakness, headaches, digestive problems, chronic disease, there is an increase in mortality rate by 15 %  and that there is NO confirmed genetic cause  of Scoliosis.
We counsel many parents regarding this fact as many hold blame in themselves for their child's condition.
Based upon the national averages of occurrence for Scoliosis, there are as many as 60,000 cases of Scoliosis in the Puget Sound area.
The primary reason that most patients choose painful surgical intervention is that the visual nature of the deformity is unacceptable by the patient or the family.